Friday 27 September 2013

Werribee Mansion

Last weekend my family and I went to Werribee Park for a picnic and a look around the mansion there. It was a huge and stunning building with extensive grounds that are free to enter. You have to pay to get entrance to the house but it's beautiful inside and filled with quite a few of the family's original furnishings. Well worth it in my opinion. 

This is the view coming along the path from the gatehouse.
There's a gorgeous black spiral staircase up in the tower at the top.

I didn't get many good photos inside because I'm still trying to remember how to use my camera (it's been about a year and a half)

After going through the house, we went along to the lake and grotto. The grotto was a beautiful dome decorated with seashells and with a little skylight at the top. Unfortunately, it was closed off behind glass so you couldn't go in (or get good photos). 





    
The grotto is tucked away and accessed via that cave like entrance.
From the grotto we wandered along to the farm where the homestead and cottage were located.

The cottage was tiny inside!
My feet started to get sore after a while.
Our last stop before going home was to take a look at the rose garden. Only a few flowers were in bloom but I had to see the plaque saying when my grandfather helped open the garden.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment